Home Forums ETTL Fall 2022 Module 2 Discussion Topic

Module 2 Discussion Topic

Back to course
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

Kamla Deonauth

Which of the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education outlined by Chickering and Gamson is most and least consistent with your teaching/learning experience

Although it is challenging to select among the seven principles for good practice in undergraduate education outlined by Chickering and Gamson, the most and least consistent with my teaching/learning experience are: (1) encourage active learning and (2) develop reciprocity and cooperation among students respectively. Encourage active learning is tangled to the idea that learning is not a passive, spectator sport. Students do not learn much by listening to instructors, memorizing assignments, and spitting out answers. They must be given the opportunity to talk about what they are learning, write about it, think about it, relate it to past experiences, and apply it to their daily lives. They must make what they learn part of themselves. These objectives can be achieved by giving students concrete, real life situations to analyze; asking students to summarize similarities and differences among research findings, artistic works, or laboratory results; presenting their work to the class; encouraging the use of professional journals; using technology to encourage active learning; and encouraging the use of internships, study abroad, service learning and clinical opportunities. On the other end, develop reciprocity and cooperation among students respectively may be challenging specially when dealing with different personalities, cultures, work ethics, and backgrounds.

Of the ” Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education” outlined by Chickering and Gamson the one most consistent with my teaching experience is principle number 5 –“Emphasizes time on task.” I provide my students with a syllabus containing a grade computation detail and submission schedule. This schedule lists the specific assignments that will be complete, the point value for the assignment, the due date and time for the submission and the final grade percentage of the final grade percentage allotted to the assignment. Perhaps I need to do a bit more regarding principle number 6 — “Communicate high expectations.” Recently, I’ve started posting a video recording of a brief biography in my course shells. In this video I use inspirational “mottos” I have encountered during my academic career, let my students know that I wish them well and encourage them to work hard and remain focused because when “light is focused it can burn green grass.” I recently leaned a strategy about strategy I hope to explore re : communicating high expectations . It entails sending out more supportive announcements or accompanying announcements with motivational banners.

Of the ” Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education” outlined by Chickering and Gamson the one most consistent with my teaching experience is principle number 5 –“Emphasizes time on task.” I provide my students with a syllabus containing a grade computation detail and submission schedule. This schedule lists the specific assignments that will be complete, the point value for the assignment, the due date and time for the submissions and the percentage of the final grade allotted to each assignment. Perhaps I need to do a bit more regarding principle number 6 — “Communicate high expectations.” Recently, I’ve started posting a video recording of a brief biography in my course shells. In this video I use inspirational “mottos” I have encountered during my academic career, let my students know that I wish them well and encourage them to work hard and remain focused, because when “light is focused it can burn green grass.” I recently leaned about a strategy I hope to explore re : communicating high expectations . It entails sending out more supportive announcements or accompanying announcements with motivational banners.

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: #000000;”>Teachers and students have the most responsibility for improving undergraduate education. These principles have been a great way as a guideline for faculty members, students, and administrators to follow to improve teaching and learning.</p>

Of the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education outlined by Chickering and Gamson the one that most consistent with my teaching experience is principle number four, which is gives prompt feedback. students need to be guild on their education progress countunialy in order to reach a goal that they are seeking for. Feedback not only giving for explaining the right answer, but can be an approach to encourage student to think differently on solving the problem. Developing student performance comes on several ways and prompt feedback is one of them.

Among Chickering and Gamson’s, “Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education”, the most consistent with my teaching/ learning experience is the third principle, encourage active learning. The least consistent is the second principle, develop reciprocity and cooperation among students. Active learning promotes analysis, synthesis and the evaluation of class content which overrides the traditional views of teaching and learning. For active learning to take place, students must think metacognitively by planning, monitoring and reflecting on their performance. This will allow students to monitor their own strengths and weaknesses. The evolvement of student thinking through how they think and learn can cause the thinking process to become more visible. As an instructor, it is important to foster intrinsic motivation. Using varying teaching methods can allow learning to be enjoyable, meaningful and interesting. Intrinsic motivation promotes improved critical-thinking skills.
      Developing reciprocity and collaboration among students is least consistent. This principle would require a different kind of participation and responsibility for learning through technology which must still be active, collaborative and engaging. The challenge of integrating a non-competitive and non-isolated distance course may include the use of setting up teams to interact, the use of online discussion, working on group projects and the use of discussion forums. Whether distance learning or face-to-face, students from different races and cultures can be encouraged to share their viewpoints on topics which may also become a challenge.

Hi Ghadeer,
      Giving feedback is an important part of the learning journey. What method of giving prompt feedback works best for you (written, recorded, face to face). To me, the best approach for giving prompt feedback would be the method which incorporate some sort of instant interaction so all views/points are addressed without any ambiguity. Such method allow for being “on the same page”. Which of the seven principles is least consistent with your teaching/learning experience?

Out of the seven principles, the one that is most consistent with my teaching/learning experience is “encourages contact between students and faculty” and the one that is the least is “encourages active learning.”

Throughout my tenure as a student I have always had relationships with my teachers/professors. Being able to talk to your instructor openly and comfortable is necessary in order to succeed in a class. As an instructor/TA I always try to make myself available to students and let them know that I am here for them and want them to succeed not only in my class but in all aspects of their lives. Having support is very important.

Active Learning is a challenging concept for me. As a student I have been successful by just listening to lecture, studying on my own, and completing exams and assignments. However I have found that with this new generation of students they do not prefer this method. Students want to have discussions about the material and have their voices heard, and for someone who never really liked talking in class it has been an adjustment trying to align my preferred style of learning with the students’.

Hi Ghadeer, Its great to hear that you provide your students with prompt feedback. This is something I struggle with. As an undergraduate student I would get frustrated with professors who took a long time to give us feedback on exams and assignments because I felt like I didn’t know what my standing was in the class. But now, as an instructor I an understand how easy it is to fall behind with grading, especially when you have a lot of students and you may or may not have papers or discussion boards to read through.

Hi Rachelle, I agree that communication high expectations is challenging but necessary. I find it hard to fully  communicate expectations to students while we are virtual because students have so many different challenges and struggles. Some are at home, some don’t have consistent access to wifi, some work. I have found it difficult to keep expectations consistent for all students when many students at this time seem to have so many additional struggles that they probably wouldn’t have had if we were having normal classes.

Of the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education, the principle that is most consistent with my teaching/learning experience is “Encourages Active Learning”. Throughout my educational and professional pursuits, I have established a teaching and learning philosophy in the development of innovative ways for students to understand complex science and math problems by incorporating real-world examples and applications via my lectures and laboratory experiments. As a result, students are able to understand how science and math are applied outside of the classroom and acquire a solid understanding of each subject. Thus, they are encouraged and inspired to explore various careers in STEM fields. I enjoy creating an intellectually stimulating classroom environment that allows students to actively participate in the process of doing science with real-world applications that motivate learning. Observing students who have a “light-bulb” moment when they finally understanding challenging scientific concepts is remarkable! I am striving to ensure that any course I teach, students actively learn in a manner as I have discussed here.

Hi Aicha, I agree with you students need to express their feeling towared the session/ or class and the right approach is encouraging them to participate on active learning.

Hi Rachell, I totally agree with you encouraging students is a very important point. Encourage them to work hard and remain focused because when “light is focused it can burn green grass.” As a teacher, one of the most difficult aspects is learning how to motivate students. sometimes students who appeared not motivated might have a learning difficulty and they need special attention.

Hi Gretchen, I concur with your strategy of active learning involving application of information to real-world examples. I think when a learner can be made to see the relevance of information to everyday life, this facilitates retention. Which of the seven principles would you say is least consistent with your teaching/learning experience?

Hello Ghadeer, Indeed giving prompt feedback is critical to the learner experience. This is important especially when the concepts been conveyed are foundational. Prompt feedback can be the determining factor as to whether the trajectory of a student terminates in success or failure. Early interventions favors the probability of success. Which of the principles would you say is least consistent with your teaching/learning experience?

Hi Alysa,
      You are right about the encouraging the active learning principles. It is really hard and tricky to find ways for students to engage and participate. I found that depending on the students you have (vocal, shy, passive, active, neutral) that would drive and determine the type of active learning approach to adopt.

Hi Dr. Rachell, It’s great to hear that you provide your students with a coherent, clear, and comprehensive syllabus by the beginning of the semester to emphasize time on task. I believe that this approach gives students enough time to organize their time to complete the assignments.

Hi Ghadeer, I certainly believe that giving prompt feedback is essential to helping students thoroughly understand concepts being taught in a course, especially complex subject matter. This feedback definitely serves to support the student and enhance the learning of students as they can figure out weak areas in learning and reinforce these areas with thorough understanding.

Hi Alysa, I agree that the ability to feel comfortable and open to talk to your instructor truly does help to succeed in a class! I like how you intentionally make sure to be available for your students. This is very supportive and I am sure your students appreciate this. I’m reflecting on my journey as an instructor and I have a similar experience as you in being welcoming to helping students and being available. Also, I agree that this generation of students do indeed like discussions and want their perspectives to be heard. I believe this may be due to the current society that we live in where society encourages unique voices and social media propagates this consistently.

Hi all,

I totally agree with you all. In my experience in teaching, I believe a clear picture of course outlines and expectations is really important. This need to be repeated in every session, as I have gone through this specially in virtual learning platform students can miss this part easily if its not repeated every session due to the connection problems and etc. I think this fall through the communicate high expectations. I also agree that the prompt feedback is also very crucial, I personally experienced this as well. for some difficulties that was going on course plan, I started to give comments on my students lab report late on the semester and that cause lots of complains and confusions. If that would happen within couple days after they post their lab report, I believe that would help them more.

Daad Alrowaili
      Participant

The first principle “Encourages Contact Between Students and Faculty” is the most connected to my teaching and learning experience. It was specially important to me after the pandemic as contact with professor has not become as easy as before. It appeared to me that this frequent contact is the most important factor in student motivation and involvement.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Looking Glass Learning . 2023 . ©  All rights reserved.