Home Forums ETTL Fall 2022 Module 3- Learning Management Systems

Module 3- Learning Management Systems

Back to course
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Kamla Deonauth

Have LMS positively or negatively impact learning outcomes for students?

Test Student
      Participant

The ability to safely connect remotely is positive so I don’t have to risk gathering in person.

LMS can positively impact learning outcomes for students through the following: 1. Provide differentiated instruction to meet the learning needs of students; 2. Provides the ability to learn and access content from just about anywhere; 3. Provides access to various electronic learning materials/ resources; 4. Convenient source to communicate with the instructor via chatroom, virtual platforms (if provided); and 5. Students can keep track of progress in courses.

LMS can negatively impact learning outcomes for students through the following: 1. Cheating is more easily accessible; 2. Requires strong discipline skills; 3. Lagging of personal feedback; 4. Submission of assignments can become complicated due to portal errors or malfunctions; and 5. Can cause social isolation which can decrease communication skills.

<p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Muli’,serif; color: black; mso-color-alt: windowtext; background: white;”>The impact of LMS on the learning outcomes for students can vary. Based on my analysis this may be dependent on several factors including, but not limited to the following.</span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Muli’,serif; color: black; mso-color-alt: windowtext; background: white;”>1.The type of LMS used. <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span>There are several different types of LMS each with its own pros and cons. <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span>Depending on which is available to an instructor it could either enhance (positively impact) or mitigate (negatively impact) the learning outcomes of the course. <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span>The review paper by Murthy <i>et al.</i><span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span>2017 indicated that the top three LMS are: Moodle, Canvas and Blackboard respectively and each has pros and cons.</span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Muli’,serif; color: black; mso-color-alt: windowtext; background: white;”>2. How well the instructor/instructional designer organize the course learning content:<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span><span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span>If the learning content is well organized so that students can easily execute tasks, this could positively impact the learning outcome of students. If poorly organized, then this could lead to frustration of students and negatively impact learning outcomes</span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Muli’,serif; color: black; mso-color-alt: windowtext; background: white;”>3. Some LMS platforms allow easy access to student performance data. This can assist some instructors in improving/upgrading the design of their course(s) to positively impact learning outcomes.</span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Muli’,serif; color: black; mso-color-alt: windowtext; background: white;”>4. How technologically savvy students are: If students are not very knowledgeable about the use of computers or are cyberphobic this could have a negative impact on learning outcome especially if the course is entirely online. On the contrary, if students are very knowledgeable about computers,  it increases the probability that the impact of LMS use  on learning outcomes  could be a positive one.</span></p>
      <p class=”MsoNormal”><span style=”font-family: ‘Muli’,serif; color: black; mso-color-alt: windowtext; background: white;”>5. The flexibility and the self-paced nature that some courses are offered using LMS, can have a positive impact on learning outcomes. <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span>This ensures that most people (each with varying schedule) successfully complete the course.</span></p>

The impact of LMS on the learning outcome for students can vary. Based on my analysis this maybe dependent on several factors, including but not limited to the following: (1). The type of LMS used. There are several types of LMS each with its own pros and cons. Depending on which is available to an instructor it could either enhance ( positively impact) or militate ( negatively impact) the learning outcome of the course. The review paper by Muruthy et.al 2017 indicated that the top three LMS are: Moodle, Canvas and Blackboard respectively and each has pros and cons. (2). How well the instructor/instructional designer organizes the course content: If the learning content is well organized so that students can easily execute tasks, this could positively impact the learning outcome of the students. If poorly organized, then this could lead to frustration of students and negatively impact learning outcomes. (3). Some LMS platforms allow easy access to student performance data. this can assist some instructors in improving/upgrading the design of their course(s) to positively impact learning outcomes. (4). How technologically savvy students are: If students are not very knowledgeable about the use of computers or are cyberphobic, this could have a negative impact on learning outcome, especially if the course is entirely online. On the contrary, if students are very knowledgeable about computers, it increases the probability that the impact of LMS use on learning outcomes could be a positive one. (5). The flexibility and the self-paced nature that some course(s) are offered using LMS can have a positive impact on learning outcomes. This can ensure that most people( each with varying schedule) successfully complete the course.

Test Student
      Participant

Test Student Submission

From my perspective on the topic, I can tell that LMS has positively impacted learning outcomes for students, even though there are little negative impacts. Here, I would like to focus my opinion on the positive side since using LMS has influenced hug disciplines starting with the education system to the emergency plan to keep the education process continues smoothly. According to Aggilanda Muruthy and Fadhilah Yamin, “LMS can refer as a system that is used as a replacement of the traditional classrooms”. In addition, LMS raises the students’ self-motivation and managing their own time.

Overall, LMS has positively impacted learning outcomes for students because the LMS platform allows for keeping up with technological developments and advancements. For instance, the LMS platform can be used with cloud technology which is the mainstay element in today’s world. LMS can be relayed in any kind of format, whatever the purpose of learning might be. Its technology also comes with the ability to improve the collection of data as the student progresses with his learning. This possibility has only unlocked other advantages like mobile learning and unlocking various other ways for learning. LMS is able to improve learning in general as it is able to support the education of students regardless of what they need to learn and how they learn it. Knowledge retention is greatly improved with the way LMS is proactively developing its teaching strategies. Some LMS platforms go even further with their incorporation of social learning in their systems. It optimizes learning materials, allowing them to be re-used over time.

Hi Nila,
      I like your comments about LMS positively and negatively impacting learning outcomes for students. Although LMS may not be perfect, it is the appropriate tool for today’s world with all these technological advancements taking place and moving at an exponential rate. I am curious about how learning would be conducted in the future and most importantly how efficient and effective would such learning be.

Summer of 2020 I taught my first online course and I also took my own online course through CIRTL that was about developing and teaching an online course. In the past, my experience with online courses was completely hands off and it was up to the student to get the work done that was laid out for them- this was my preference. However, I have learned that the views of current students is very mixed. Many students miss the social aspect, and feel that they aren’t really grasping the information because it is hard to stare at a screen for hours. Some students also feel distracted and miss the live class sessions due to various reasons, and this also negatively impacts their outcomes. I think LMS systems have the ability to be very successful in helping students succeed in their courses, but all students and professors need training so that they can uses these systems to the best of their ability. We also need strategies to keep students accountable and engaged because it is easy to forget about classes and assignments when everything is virtual.

Hi Aicha, I like your take on LMS. my experience with the students I have worked with has primarily been negative. But I do agree that LMS allows for more technological advances. Im excited to see future developments that may assist different students learn the same information in different ways.

Hi Rachelle, I agree that LMS can be successful but it is very dependent on many factors. It seemed that at Howard when we had to switch to virtual learning it was very challenging because many professors were not familiar with all the features of blackboard and some didn’t use it at all. Having the option to explore different LMS may be beneficial to our students.

Throughout my teaching experiences, I have observed that Learning Management Systems can have both positive and negative impacts on the learning outcomes for students. I believe that LMS is a great technological advancement that allows instructors the ability to organize resources effectively for students, increase productivity and enhance connection with students actively learning. Also, instructors can help facilitate the learning of students by tracking their progress as assignments, projects, quizzes/exams are completed and provide constructive feedback.

Over the years, I instructed students of diverse backgrounds and realized the impact of the teaching-learning experience of multi-cultural students especially those pursuing STEM fields. Often minority students face unimaginable challenges in addition to the struggle of trying to learn in educational systems, particularly in inner cities and rural areas that may have inadequate science labs, equipment, and access to resources and opportunities. These students might find some Learning Management Systems as an additional tool that they have to learn and navigate. This may become a challenge and negatively impact the learning outcome of these students, especially in a virtual learning environment.

Hi Alysa, I enjoyed reading your post! I agree with you that many students really do miss the social aspect of being in a classroom during learning. Several of my students have told me that they are struggling with being productive virtually and can’t really focus on studying. I believe this is an ongoing struggle that virtual platforms present. So, I agree that educators and students certainly need continuous training and strategies to maintain engagement!

Hi Rachelle, you have raised some good points here! I agree with you that there are several factors that impact the learning outcome for students. The organization of the LMS and the capabilities of the instructor and students to properly navigate the virtual platform are key! I have observed technological savvy students who excel in using the LMS and I have learned from them as well. Being open to their suggestions can also help guide other students in the class that may be encountering challenges using LMS.

Hi Rachelle, you have raised some good points here! I agree with you that there are several factors that impact the learning outcome for students. The organization of the LMS and the capabilities of the instructor and students to properly navigate the virtual platform are key! I have observed technological savvy students who excel in using the LMS and I have learned from them as well. Being open to their suggestions can also help guide other students in the class that may be encountering challenges.

Hi Aichia, I totally agree that one of the positives of LMS is that it allows the collection of data. Data collection and analysis are prudent strategies for accurately assessing if the learning outcomes of a course are been met. LMS also generate data that can identify students who need nudging because they are not progressing well in a course.

Hi Ghadeer, one of the things I definitely like about LMS is how they allow students to manage their own time. This factor gives opportunity to individuals who could otherwise not pursue an education ( e.g. it allows a busy mother to complete a course at home during the night while her children are sleeping). LMS therefore facilitates upward mobility for individuals who would otherwise not have the time to attend a face-to-face session on a university campus.

Hi Ghadeer,
      We all have learned about the positive side of LMS especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. It allows for students to take control of their own scheduling and learning process. It has given students a wide range of flexibility and adaptability that is almost possible to have a “personalized” education system.

Hi Alysa, first of all, thanks for sharing your experience with us. I agree with you 100% that both students and instructors need to know a piece of knowledge to use the LMS system to get a great result. When the pandemic hit and people from different levels were forced to use LMS, many confusions that happened, but with few practicing, everyone got familiar with the system.

Daad Alrowaili
      Participant

As from the positive side of LMS, participants are able to evaluate their performance through periodically scheduled assessments such as quizes, tests, and review feedbacks through reports and statistical representations such as graphs. On the other hand, the negative aspect of LMS if that someone can actually log in on the student behalf and be involved in the activities there.

on of the LMS positive effects is that ensures students have access to their learning materials no matter where or what time they need it. This definitely create less stressful experience on learning and makes them to seek even for more deep informations on the related topic. On the other hand this may have negative impacts like, it makes students to be less creative.  it might make them to not able to think out of box. also it would cause social isolation and make hem anxious to share their thoughts freely.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Looking Glass Learning . 2023 . ©  All rights reserved.